JEEP CHEROKEE HELP!!!!!!!!

This is for all the technical information, whether it be writeups or parts explained.

Moderator: huntersuhoh

JEEP CHEROKEE HELP!!!!!!!!

Postby firefighter911 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 pm

SO THIS IS THE THIRD TIME IT HAS HAPPENED TWICE IN GREENVILLE AND ONCE IN SPARTANBURG ILL DRIVE MY JEEP DOWN THE INTERSTATE THEN WHEN I GET OFF THE INTERSTATE SAY AT A STOP LIGHT OR SOMETHING IT WILL JUST CUT OFF THEN ABOUT 20 MINS LATER START RIGHT BACK UP...........( AFTER TALKIN TO SOMEONE I HAVE NOTCIED IT DID IDLE DIFFRENT ONE TIME BUT THE OTHER 2 TIMES IT JUST CUT OFF ................ITS A 97 JEEP CHEROKEE 4X4 AUTO V6 (THANKS LET ME NO
firefighter911

Re: JEEP CHEROKEE HELP!!!!!!!!

Postby artstj » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:24 pm

I had a similar issue with mine when I first drove it about 4 years ago. When driving down the interstate for about 20 minutes or more, I would get off the interstate and it would either cut off or run real rough until I stopped driving it for the day. This problem existed anytime you would drive it more than a few minutes at high speed. I replaced the throttle position sensor and it was cured as far as day to day driving was concerned. Then, I drove it to Florida. As soon as I got off the interstate after a couple of hours non-stop, the condition came back. When driving home from Fl, the same thing happened. Since then, I have driven about 70,000 miles with no recurrance of the problem. I have driven it probably 20 times for 3+ hours on the interstate with no recurrance of the problem.

I'm interested in others' experiences.
artstj

Postby firefighter911 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:51 pm

alright thanks ill look in to that ....
firefighter911

Postby firefighter911 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:52 pm

anyone else
firefighter911

Postby ROKTOY » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Could it be vaporlocking...or trying to? Just a thought, I had a Bronco that did that...I know not an XJ but it is worth a shot.
Toyota-Traded, XJ-Sold
Big Black Smoke Blower...in the works
ROKTOY

Postby firefighter911 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 pm

not sure how would u fix tht thts the thing where the fuel get s to hot or wat ever and stuff right ......im not sure but i guess its possible
firefighter911

Postby artstj » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Did you ever determine what the problem was? Curious.
artstj

Postby Georgia Mike » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:28 pm

If you haven't fixed the problem yet, my bet would be either a bad crank position sensor or the plug on it.
Georgia Mike

Postby csmgj » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Well, I was going to post my own, bun since this seems similar to my problem, I'll start here.

My sister has been driving my XJ (Better milage than her '89 Ford F-150 4x4). She was complaining about high idle. But it's always had that problem intermittently. But now it has this deal where it runs rough. Exhaust pops, And sometimes it stalls. Not sure if it's related, but I think it also has a vacuum issue. When I put it in 4 wheel drive and mash the gas, the indicator light goes out. And if I mash hard enough, the axle disconnect will disconnect. I found one broken vacuum line. I fixed it, but the problem persisted. I was wondering where the timing advance is. Doesn't that run off vacuum? Might that cause this issue? Throttle position sensor might also be a good thing to check. What else should I check?

[UPDATE]
Not sure if this will help anyone, but I FINALLY fixed my JEEP. Turns out the problem was a broken ballast resistor, probably caused by fuel pump & filter issues (which I replaced). The reason my vacuum dropped to nothing, is that since it wasn't getting enough fuel, I'd have to floor it (open the throttle), which makes vacuum go to zero.
Last edited by csmgj on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csmgj

Postby Georgia Mike » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Inline with your vacuum lines, and depending on the year they could be right there at the intake manifold, you will find little plastic disc shaped things with a tubing connector on both sides. These are check valves. Pull them off one by one and check to see if they are working correctly. The idea behind them is to keep vacuum from dropping by closing a valve inside. You should be able to blow through one side, but not the other. The side that you cannot blow through needs to be on the opposite side of the vacuum source (intake). Those little valves can go bad over time, or even inadvertantly be reinstalled backwards. Its as good of a place as any to start troubleshooting.
Georgia Mike

Return to All Tech All Makes