Coil Overs????

This is for all the technical information, whether it be writeups or parts explained.

Moderator: huntersuhoh

Re: Coil Overs????

Postby dragnz24 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 am

you don't really need air bumps with coil overs unless you want that bling factor. your not running KOH or 4x4Cross so your not needing to absorb the amount of shock that those guys see. As long as you are bump stopped correctly so that your not bottoming out the shock your good. As far as the spring rate you can get in touch with FOX or FOA and ask them what they suggest. you are more than likely going to want to be able to provide some weights of you jeep. my best suggestion is if you can get a weight for each corner your going to be able to get more precise spring rates Are the one's you are looking at single, double, or triple rate? I am going to suggest you check out Pirate4x4 in the hardcore jeep forum for what people are suggesting for their spring rates or ask, be prepared for jackass answers. also there is a huge swap thread in the for sale section for coil over springs.
dragnz24
Site Admin

Postby 2BNDRT » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:15 pm

I have been on Pirate reading through threads for a couple of days. I am always leary of posting these kind of questions there because I see to many people getting flamed and told to search. There is just so much to sort through there that it drives me crazy reading threads till midnight. Do you have or have ever ran coil overs?
To be old and wise, you must 1st be young and stupid!
2BNDRT

Postby 2BNDRT » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:30 pm

They are for a dual rate spring.
2BNDRT

Postby dragnz24 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:51 pm

I understand the crap about Pirate. I have personally not run coil overs but have done a crap load of research and help set/fab up several sets. We put 4 18" travel coil overs on Dana's buggy. I will have to get with brad to see what spring rates he used for his dual rate.

from FOA's site
"We typically recommend using a lower (Main) spring that is 2" longer than the shocks travel length, and an upper (Tender) spring that is 2" shorter than the shocks travel length. (ie. A 12" travel shock will use a 14" Main spring and a 10" Tender spring) If the spring rates you need are not available using the longer lower/shorter upper method, you can use 2 equal length springs as needed. (ie. A 12” travel shock can use 2 12” springs)"

they also have a spring rate calculator http://www.f-o-a.com/
dragnz24
Site Admin

Postby tater_kamik » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Dialing in coilovers can be a pain, I definately learned that. But there is no doubt that they are wonderful. With a 12" of travel, you will more than likely be fine not running triple rate. You will need the sprung weight, angle of the shock to the lower link, your desired droop, length of your lower links, and length to your lower shock mounting point. You should probably read up on coilover tech, I would recommend Billavista's Tech on Pirate. As far as bumps, all they are is bumpstops. So unless you are bottoming out, there is no use for them. You could spend quite a bit to get the correct springs at around $50 each, but most companies sell springs also have a service where you can return them if they are not what you need and they are not torn up. Make sure of this when you order, it well help a lot. There is a ton of information out there on 4 link suspensions fortunately.

Where does FOA say that about the lengths of the springs? That recommendation doesnt seem to make much sense to me since that ould mean the preload could not be adjusted up. Most setups I have been looking at use a spring set up that put the preload at the middle setting to allow for adjustment of both the preload up and down as well as the transition between the main/ tender.
tater_kamik

Postby 2BNDRT » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Well the coil-overs are on their way. No turning back now. I have Billavista's coil-over pt1 and pt2 bookmarked. Few more late nights ahead. That calculator is cool, amazing how much info you need just to get coils springs. Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming!
2BNDRT

Postby tater_kamik » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:10 pm

The negative side with the billavista guide is that part 3, which was supposed to be tuning, etc was never done. I have also noticed a lot of garbage information on the Web but overall pirate has some good information as well as offroad fab network. Between the two and a lot of reading/ theorizing you can learn a lot.
tater_kamik

Return to All Tech All Makes