Zuki Stretch Build (lots of pics)

This is for all the technical information, whether it be writeups or parts explained.

Moderator: huntersuhoh

Zuki Stretch Build (lots of pics)

Postby YJeeper » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:21 am

so this zuk started its life stock about 3 years ago... i wanted a simple rig on 35's.... well did the yj and toyota swap, t- case gears, etc. and i wheeled it hard for three years like this... this project will be going slower, as i work nightshift at the local police department, so i can really only work on it on my nights off which are few and far between...

when it was stock, the day i brought it home

after the first build

then recently after a couple of flops, i decided to have a cage installed

and after wheeling in harlan, i decided i needed more wheelbase, the 84" i had wasnt cutting it anymore for the east coast wheeling.... so the next part of the build is born. shooting for around 100" when its done...

started mocking it up with the YJ springs and at 100 there was no way, so i swapped in some xj springs

had the rear yj spring mounts left from the YJ swap, needed new spring mounts, so i took some 1/4" plate and boxed them in
Image\

my frame extensions are 2x4 1/4" square tube, this stuff is beef, they are a little longer in the picture than they will finally be, i just didnt want to come up short...

so far this is how it sits in the shop until my next night off... as of now i need to chop the new frame off, build the bumper, mount the springs, put the astro van box and gm pump in, and make some driveshafts. i hope to have this thing out of the shop and back in service soon! more pics to come as i finish up the build...

so little work done so far, but i have made some head way,

got the fish plates made, 1/2" stock, shouldnt bend! 2finger

and got the axle centered up in its final resting place

and also beefed up my front shackle mounts, they are some stock CJ-5 shackle

Well im off this whole weekend, so maybe by monday it will be sitting on its own weight! man i cant wait to get this thing outta the shop....

well got a good pit of work done over the weekend....

getting everything welded in place.

here is the welder im using, its ancient, it belonged to my grand dad...sad thing is, i think it has more HP than my zuk 2finger

finally got the frame about finished, need to add in some supports as soon as i get the radiatior back in and mount the steering box.

and got the spring mounts mocked up and tacked into place. need to weld them in and brace them.

its coming along slow, but it should be sitting on its own weight this week. man i love the new stance, and i cant wait to get it wheeling....

slow night at work, and i had some extra pics i thought i would share...

hopefully should have some updates soon! gonna try to get all the steering mounted up tonight.... and get the radiator back in and start with the winch mounts. shouldnt be too much longer now...

Got some more progress done last night. i got the steering box in, the steering shaft made, and the radiator in and mounted... here are the pics

here is the astro box mounted up

The mounts i made, and its sleeved through the frame, just forgot to take a pic of it...

got the steering shaft made, i took the stock zuk shaft and cut it to lenght, then took the astro shaft and cut it just below the top u-joint, gound it down until it fit into the zuk shaft and welded it up... now i have no more torn rag joints! :happy

The radiator was a trick to put back in with the steering box, so i had to make a mount for the driverside, i think it came out good, i was able to lower the radiator a little more than an inch, maybe that will help keep it safe if i roll it.

here is a shot of the mount

its getting closer to being done, its just going slow. but more updates soon, but im working all weekend, so hopefully on monday night it will be a roller!
-David-
88' Zuk' with SPOA YJ springs
Yota Axles locked
36" TSL's
"JUST MASH IT"
YJeeper

Re: Zuki Stretch Build (lots of pics)

Postby dragnz24 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 am

you got enough room up there to add a 2nd motor
dragnz24
Site Admin

Postby YJeeper » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:47 pm

got alot done over my last 2 days off, got the power steering finished up, the radiator back in, and its sitting on its own weight. its getting closer... now all thats left is finish up the front clip with some tube as soon as i find a bender and get the driveshafts finished up so i can take it for a test drive..

the urban rock mount

the beefed up spring mounts...

welding everything in

and now the new stance photos! man i love it.

and did i mention im digging the new stance, cant wait to hit up some hill climbs!
-David-
Yota Axles locked
36" TSL's
"JUST MASH IT"
YJeeper

Postby LA Rollcages26 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Man that zuki looks awesome great job on the fab work. Keep the pics coming
1986 chevy c20 w/6"lift and 35" tires
Midnight Prowler coming soon!!!!!!
L.A Rollcages (how safe do you feel)
custom built cages and race cars
Ed Powells auto salvage
optima batteries
LA Rollcages26

Postby durnzuki » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:07 am

It will help on the hills but will hurt on the corners, mine and dylan's are both stretched pretty good and would do it again.
durnzuki

Postby YJeeper » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:51 pm

so i made a cheap driveshaft today just so i could take it for a spin around the house! I love the astro box, there is zero resistance on the steering! its like not even having tires.... oh and so far i love the flex of the XJ's. cant wait to flex it to its full potential!

More to come soon! its time to start on the tube clip!
-David-
Yota Axles locked
36" TSL's
"JUST MASH IT"
YJeeper

Postby YJeeper » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 pm

just a little work done over the weekend, put in a frame brace and added a the winch and some lights...

still waiting on the tube to come in so i can start the front clip....
-David-
Yota Axles locked
36" TSL's
"JUST MASH IT"
YJeeper

Postby YJeeper » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:14 am

Got the bender in on friday and my driveshafts, finished tying up some loose ends, getting ready to start the front clip on monday...

stay tuned for the clip!
-David-
Yota Axles locked
36" TSL's
"JUST MASH IT"
YJeeper

Postby YJeeper » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:49 pm

got some tube bending done, here are the pics...

a few more spreaders will be added and some shock mounts, more to come!
-David-
Yota Axles locked
36" TSL's
"JUST MASH IT"
YJeeper

Postby YJeeper » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Well its taken me a while, but i finally got the driveshafts made up, got the shocks put on and took it wheeling....sorry no wheeling pics yet, but i do have the finished product pictures...i must say i love the added wheelbase and the new stance of it...its so much more stable and climbs so much better!

-David-
Yota Axles locked
36" TSL's
"JUST MASH IT"
YJeeper

Return to All Tech All Makes